Bankruptcy may make it possible for you to:
- Eliminate the legal obligation to pay most or all of your debts. This is called a ‘discharge’ of debts. It is designed to give you a fresh financial start.
- Stop foreclosure on your house or mobile home and allow you an opportunity to catch up on missed payments.
- In some instances eliminate second mortgages, depending on the equity position of the second mortgage.
- Prevent repossession of a car or other property, or force the creditor to return property even after it has been repossessed.
- Stop wage garnishment, debt collection harassment, and similar creditor actions to collect a debt.
- Restore or prevent termination of utility service.
- Allow you to challenge the claims of creditors who have committed fraud or who are otherwise trying to collect more than you really owe.